[sc34wg3] [topicmapmail] Short follow up from this morning...

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Fri Nov 4 06:38:51 EDT 2011

Graham,

On 11/02/2011 09:33 AM, Graham Moore wrote:
> I wrote this morning about embracing developers. At Networked Planet
> we have tried really hard to do this with our new semantic web
> database, BrightstarDB.  It lets developers start from code rather
> than lots of XML, or text files to define ontologies and load data.
> There is a 2min video on the http://www.brightstardb.com site that
> gives a little insight into how this works.

Developers are an important group to embrace.

On the other hand, the Semantic Web has been in bed with developers for
the last ten years and all it has to show for it are developers, no real
user uptake. The linked data upswing is just making the SW easy enough
for developers, no users.

My concern is that there are far more users than developers. Yes?

Having said that, we do need to get developers to build tools that users
will find useful.

Just a suggestion but what if we look for semantic pinch-points in
current technologies? What do they don't do well that a developer could
communicate to users as an advantage or distinction for their product?
(Reasoning that developers, even open source ones, want to attract users
and one way to do that is to offer something users want to do or see an
advantage in.)

Talk to you in just a bit!

Patrick

--