[sc34wg3] TMQL discussions

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Wed Sep 9 14:52:32 EDT 2009

* Lars Heuer

> I wonder if it makes sense to discuss anything about TMQL in advance
> of Seattle since the editors did not manage it to start a productive
> discussion at one of our public mailing lists.

It's probably too late at this point, with only a few days left,
although any contributions from anyone are of course more than welcome.

> The recent discussions about replacing TMQL with tolog or Toma
> demotivate me a bit, since the outcome of Seattle is pretty much
> speculative and there seems to be no (public available) central theme
> in the development of TMQL since everything seems to be still up in
> the air.

Well, I don't think we're going to come back from Seattle with a
decision to replace the current draft with one of the other languages.
As far as I know there's nobody there who's going to push for such an
outcome, and in any case it wouldn't be the right way to approach this.

Most likely what we will do is try to come up with a way forward so
that we can have something substantial to discuss in Leipzig in
November. And that reminds me: it would be great if you could be there
and take part in that discussion.

In any case, I don't think you need fear that we will come back and
say "this is what we've decided, and you're all going to like it".
Whatever we do, if it doesn't have community acceptance it's not going
to fly. So whatever we come back with will be more of a proposal than
a decision.

I hope that helps somewhat.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/