[sc34wg3] TMQL: Restrict tm-content and xml-content to return clause

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Fri Feb 27 11:55:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:43:55PM +0100, Lars Heuer wrote:
> [...]
> > SPARQL - just to look at one comparable language - has 70 productions
> > and 30 more to cover constants (integers, etc.). TMQL has not even 60.
>
> I doubt that counting productions tells you much about a language.

> TMQL hides a lot of productions in the annex A "Predefined
> Environment". Most of the stuff should belong to the grammar.

Exactly 6 rules in SPARQL deal with functions and operators (+, -
...).

And if we decide to express these few (binary, unary) operators
_within_ the grammar, that would change _nothing_ in complexity,
really:

   value-expression -> mul-expression ('*' | '/') mul-expression

   mul-expression   -> add-expression ( '+' | '-' ) add-expression

   add-expression   -> ...

etc.

I cannot imagine that this is the "complexity" you are writing about.

\rho