[sc34wg3] XTM 2.0: resourceRef vs. resourceData, embedded XML

Steve Pepper pepper at ontopia.net
Thu Mar 23 19:47:09 EST 2006

* Lars Heuer

| [resourceRef vs. resourceData]
|
| I'd like to have "value". It's simple and consistent with the TMDM
| terminology.

Consistency with the TMDM terminology should not be taken
too far. TMDM terminology should be optimized for describing
models that need to be understood by implementors. XTM
terminology should be optimized for authors. In the model,
we do not allow redundancy of expression; in the syntax, we
should -- to the extent that it makes it easier to author
and read XTM. I refer to my previous note and the parallell
with topic -> instanceOf.

To put it another way, I can understand why an implementor
like you, Lars, would prefer a barebones XTM that maps as
directly onto TMDM as possible, but XTM is not designed for
people like you ;-)

Steve