[sc34wg3] Canonicalization of embedded XML

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Thu Mar 23 09:12:42 EST 2006

Hi Lars,

[...]
> It's true that canonicalizing XML is non-trivial, and it does add
> complexity. However, XTM exporters are unaffected. It's perfectly OK
> to embed non-canonical XML in XTM; the requirement is that you must
> canonicalize it when you *read* the XTM.
[...]

Ah! :)
Okay, that makes sense.

Question:
Your example

      Foo <a d="e" b="c">bar</a>

is a valid one for embedded XML?
The XTM reader has to search for the XML inside the character sequence
"Foo <a d="e" b="c">bar</a>" and canonicalize it?

If I understood it correctly this would also be valid example for
embedded XML:

   <foo a="b">bla</foo>
   <bar c="d">blub</bar>

Is such thing c14n'able with standard conform XML canonicalizers since
the root node is missing?

BTW: The TMDM mentions xsd:anyType as datatype, the XTM mentions
xsd:any as datatype.

Best regards,
Lars
--