[sc34wg3] XTM 2.0: resourceRef vs. resourceData, embedded XML

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Fri Mar 24 07:51:25 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

[...]
> To put it another way, I can understand why an implementor
> like you, Lars, would prefer a barebones XTM that maps as
> directly onto TMDM as possible, but XTM is not designed for
> people like you ;-)

;)

Maybe but I thought it is a bit redundant since an author can write

   <resourceRef>http://mydomain.org/<resourceRef>

and

   <resourceData datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#anyURI">
   http://mydomain.org/
   </resourceData>

The author has the choice between two constructs for the same thing.

Anyway, for an implementation it is nearly the same work.

        def foundResourceData(value, datatype):
            if datatype == XSD_URI:
               // Jump to resourceRef handling
               foundResourceRef(value)
            else:
               // ...

I've no problem with it. :) I just wondered why this distinction is
necessary. Less typing for authors is a valid argument. :)

Best regards,
Lars
--
http://semagia.com