[sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Lars Heuer sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:51:24 +0200

Hi Patrick,

[...]
>>(k) CTM should encourage the use of PSIs to refer to topics over the
>>      use of IDs.
>>
> Q: Does this assume that the topic that would be referred to with an ID
> has a PSI in the equivalent of its subject identifier property (TMDM
> terminology)? (I am assuming that PSI is the one mentioned in (k).)

> I don't have an opinion one way or the other (yet) but at least at
> present most topics will not have PSIs.

> Curious to know the reasoning behind this requirement.

While not being the originator of this requirement I would underline
it. This requirement does not say that "local" topic ids
are forbidden, but the user should rather use subject identifiers than
topic ids if a subject identifier is available. I'd translate the
requirement:
"If subject identifiers are available, use it! Beside that the CTM
should make it easy for an human to write the URIs (maybe through a
'namespace declaration')"

Please add Gabriel in CC, while he is not allowed to use this mailing
list (g.hopmans[at]mssm.nl).

Best regards,
Lars
--