[sc34wg3] WG3 Meeting Schedule

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:38:49 -0000

We have a UK committee meeting on 3/3, & doubtless will discuss this.

The main reasons that the colocated meetings have worked well for me are:

- I find that the intensive f2f format enables me to get my head (back)
around the complex subject matter (that does not form part of my daily work)
& contribute to discussions.

- the package of meeting/conference has been v. much easier to sell to my
recent employers as a worthwhile use of my time, than either would be alone.
Kal's point about the difference between week-end days and weekday billable
days is well made, too. How many actual and potential members would we lose
if we changed?

- the presence of standards folks at the conference increases its
intellectual content, & access to knowledgeable folks that are not members
of the SC/WG, in foyer chats, is valuable for the standards work

- colocation of the WG and SC meetings allows combination roles of expert
and head of delegation from the BSI perspective

- colocation of the WG and SC meetings has allowed Jim Mason to contribute
to the WG discussions, and this has been v. valuable

I strongly support this arrangement continuing. I would be happy to use a
couple of days after this next conference for WG meetings.

Do we know why IDEAlliance have pulled the plug on our week-end meeting
space?

Ann W.