[sc34wg3] WG3 Meeting Schedule

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:31:16 +0000

In light of the recent difficulties facing Ken in organising a place for
us to meet, I began to wonder about the whole tradition of aligning
meetings with the IdeAlliance conferences. I realise that this is an
arrangement that precedes my participation by quite a few years, so I
hope I am not speaking out of turn.

Anyway, it seems to me that this arrangement is giving us less benefit
and causing more problems as time goes by. The principle of alternating
sides of the Atlantic is not a bad one, but why necessarily tie
ourselves to the schedule and locations of the conferences ? Also, I
think that there is a lot more that we can do by teleconference and
email than we currently do. So what I would propose as an alternative
would be:

1) Just one F2F meeting per year. Alternating US and Europe (perhaps
that should be US/Europe/Asia). The F2F would maybe, but not
necessarily, be timed and located to coincide with a conference, but the
principle guiding factor would be having a meeting room big enought to
hold all the attendees.

2) Monthly teleconferences - limited in time to maybe 2 hours maximum
with an agreed agenda that focusses on discussing one or two key issues.
The teleconferences could/should be followed up with IRC sessions.

3) More email traffic. Not just calls for review of documents, but also
editors raising issues *before* writing down their solution.

One last thing, I think I agree with what Steve says about us being
close on parts 1-4 and I would not suggest that finalising those issues
could all be done by concall/IRC - but maybe now is the time for the
issues to start being raised - and maybe a pre-meeting concall (say in
March some time) would be useful ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Kal