Increasing Ownership: was Re: [sc34wg3] Draft agenda for Montreal meeting

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:12:59 -0400

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau

<snip>

> | Personally I am interested in discussing how we increase the
> | ownership of the topic maps paradigm so that we have the critical
> | mass of people to both generate interest in OASIS TCs as well as
> | make substantial progress in them. (Note the emphasis on planning
> | for the future and not chewing over the past. Despite my many
> | delusions, I have never seriously thought that I could change the
> | past.)
> |
> | Does that sound like the beginnings of something we could
> | productively discuss?
>
> I'm also interested in this, but where and how we should discuss it I
> am less sure of.

Agreed. For my part I am not sure either standards organization setting
is the appropriate one. Understand that both are interested in the
outcome, but not at all clear that the procedures of either are suited
to this sort of discussion.

Suggestion: Rather than getting the process right, how about simply
posting suggestions on how "ownership" of the topic maps paradigm can be
expanded to the list between now and XML 2003? Probably best that we
only ask questions of each other to clarify and not debate the suggestions.

I am thinking that we all have contacts with different user communities,
who have differing interests. What will appeal to one will almost
certainly not appeal to another. But, I do suspect that if a good idea
is suggested, we are all capable of adapting it to our particular
communities.

Is that at least a start?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick