[sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

Michel Biezunski sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:54:15 -0500

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> |  - assertion in RM is the same as statement in RDF.
>
> * Michel Biezunski
> |
> | No. Assertions in RM are much more elementary than in RDF.  An
> | assertion in RDF amounts to 28 or so assertions in the RM.
>
> SRN's typical example of an RM assertion is "George has a medical
> degree from Harvard". That corresponds to a single RDF statement.
> That's the only RM assertion I can recall seeing, though, so it may be
> that it is not typical.
>
> | I am not sure about 28, it may be 15 or 35 (the RM experts can tell
> | us the exact number), but the fact is that the nature of the things
> | that get asserted is completely different.
>
> Please tell me more about it. Could someone give some examples, or
> show how/why this is so? And is it not the case that you can actually
> choose when you design your RDF/RM mapping how many assertions you
> want to have a statement map to?

If you look slides that Steve Newcomb presented in Baltimore,
this will answer your question I think.

The slide shows that the "George" stuff amounts to at least
7 assertions, and this only the minimal required.

Take a look at this slide and the following:

http://www.coolheads.com/SRNPUBS/xml2002-econ/slide09.htm

Michel
Michel Biezunski
Coolheads Consulting