[sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

10 Feb 2003 19:07:16 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

|  - assertion in RM is the same as statement in RDF.

* Michel Biezunski

| No. Assertions in RM are much more elementary than in RDF.  An
| assertion in RDF amounts to 28 or so assertions in the RM.

SRN's typical example of an RM assertion is "George has a medical
degree from Harvard". That corresponds to a single RDF statement.
That's the only RM assertion I can recall seeing, though, so it may be
that it is not typical.

| I am not sure about 28, it may be 15 or 35 (the RM experts can tell
| us the exact number), but the fact is that the nature of the things
| that get asserted is completely different.

Please tell me more about it. Could someone give some examples, or
show how/why this is so? And is it not the case that you can actually
choose when you design your RDF/RM mapping how many assertions you
want to have a statement map to?