[sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

10 Feb 2003 22:40:52 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

| SRN's typical example of an RM assertion is "George has a medical
| degree from Harvard". That corresponds to a single RDF statement.
| That's the only RM assertion I can recall seeing, though, so it may
| be that it is not typical.

* Michel Biezunski

| If you look slides that Steve Newcomb presented in Baltimore,
| this will answer your question I think.
|
| The slide shows that the "George" stuff amounts to at least
| 7 assertions, and this only the minimal required.
|
| Take a look at this slide and the following:
|
| http://www.coolheads.com/SRNPUBS/xml2002-econ/slide09.htm

I think you are confusing nodes with assertions, Michel. Slide 10 has
the title "Diagram of a 2-role assertion". So the diagram shows one
assertion, which has 8 nodes in it. So the statement "George has a
medical degree from Harvard" is here shown represented with a single
assertion, and to create that assertion you need 8 nodes.