[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:38:07 -0400

Sam,

Sam Hunting wrote:

>[patrick duruseau]
>
>>Personally I would relegate whatever claims one wants to make about
>>topic maps to marketing literature and similar genres but don't feel it
>>is worth the group's time to debate where such claims should be made.
>>

>Since I believe that topic maps are sets of knowledge-bearing assertions,
>I don't have problems with the k-word (though Kal's objections are
>cogent).
>
>However, Patrick, I  understand how, using the standard you sketch above,
>it would be possible for *any* marketing claim to be rejected from
>inlcusion in the standard.

I am willing to trust the editor's good taste and judgment to not allow
lewd or absurd claims about topic maps to be inserted into any of the
standards documents. We are discussing the addition of one word and not
several paragraphs of boiler plate describing how topic maps will bring
about one (or more) envisioned (or delusioned) views of an information
future. I refrain from mentioning any by name so as to not prolong or
extend this debate into even more sterile areas of contention.

Patrick