[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:33:48 -0400 (EDT)

[patrick duruseau]
> Personally I would relegate whatever claims one wants to make about
> topic maps to marketing literature and similar genres but don't feel it
> is worth the group's time to debate where such claims should be made.

Since I believe that topic maps are sets of knowledge-bearing assertions,
I don't have problems with the k-word (though Kal's objections are
cogent).

However, Patrick, I  understand how, using the standard you sketch above,
it would be possible for *any* marketing claim to be rejected from
inlcusion in the standard.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.goose-works.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.