[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Nikita Ogievetsky sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:04:48 -0700

I also do not have problems with K-Word,
because I do use it in this context.
However, I would replace first K-Word
with "author's knowledge" and second K-Word
(as Kal suggested) with "encoded knowledge".
So that it becomes:

   Topic maps are abstract structures which encode author's
   knowledge about a domain and connect this encoded knowledge to
   information resources that are considered relevant to the
   domain. Topic maps are organized around topics, which are
   symbols representing subjects of discourse, associations
   representing relationships between the subjects, and
   occurrences, which connect the subjects to pertinent
   information resources.

By the way what is the meaning of "a domain" ?
Domain of what? knowledge?
"knowledge about a domain of knowledge" ... Yak...
Why not "a set of subjects"?
"knowledge about a set of subjects"

--Nikita.