[sc34wg3] RE: [topicmaps-comment] I need a map to follow the postings!

Tsao, Scott sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:52:14 -0700

From: Mason, James David
> Do we have any volunteers to prepare a Topic Map of the threads on these
> lists?

This is a brilliant suggestion!

From: Lars Marius Garshol
> * James David Mason
> |
> | I'm trying to follow discussions, and I'm having a hard time keeping
> | up with what thread I'm on at any given moment. Some of the threads
> | seem to migrate from one list to another, which makes it hard to
> | sort messages in my reader.
>
> This problem would go away by itself if only people could follow basic
> mailing list etiquette and not cross-post. In special cases, posting
> to one list to notify readers of a thread on another list may be a
> good idea, but cross-posting is IMHO something we should avoid entirely.
>
> It is hard to keep track of all that is happening on these three
> lists, and cross-posting makes it even harder, not easier.

Based on my experience, cross posting proves to be valuable when we have to
complement
two different models of collaboration:
(1) PUSH - such as subscription to e-mail lists
(2) PULL - such as USENET newsgroups

Using automated cross-posting mechanisms, people favoring either model will
be able to
get/post messages while sticking with one single tool (e-mail client or news
client).

I think Jim's suggestion above could lead to some real useful TM
applications on the
Internet, i.e., by providing automated cataloging and easy navigation among
discussions
posted in differnet threads of different e-mail lists.  This seems to have
the potential
of being a "killer application" for Topic Maps.

Regards,

Scott