[sc34wg3] [topicmapmail] the praeteritio explanation

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Wed Jan 13 09:02:28 EST 2010

Steve,

I think the more important question for topic maps is not where we may
or may not have been but where we want to be going.

That requires answering new questions, such as:

Do we need for topics to reify associations? Or occurrences for that
matter? In light of our *present* experience with topic maps. Which I
assume is different from our experience almost ten years ago.

Why not make associations and occurrences (which are a form of
association) first class representatives of subjects? And so capable of
supporting properties that now require reification with a topic.

Or, why not add to topics (and associations and occurrences as modified)
the ability to have typed properties? Or in other words, allow
"occurrences" to return to the indexing use of the term "occurrences."

I am sure there are a number of other suggestions that merit discussion.

My only request would be that such discussions be mirrored on the
sc34wg3 at isotopicmaps.org mailing list so that members of NBs could be
aware of the ongoing discussions.

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick