[sc34wg3] Some inconsistencies in the tmcl schema

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Wed Oct 28 04:48:38 EDT 2009

* Michael Quaas

> Just a question: shouldn't the regular-expression-constraint have an
> occurrence of type regexp?

This has been brought up and discussed once before, but unfortunately
I can find no trace of that discussion. Therefore made an issue for it
this time: http://projects.topicmapslab.de/issues/1490

My response is that while we could certainly do it that would require
us to define that datatype and extend the set of supported datatypes
by one, requiring TMCL processors to remember that tmcl:regexp is a
subtype of xsd:string. That expands the spec a bit, and it's not clear
that there's any benefit.

You'll note that XML Schema part 2, which defines this regular
expression syntax and uses it in its -value- attribute, does not
define a datatype for regular expressions.

So personally I'd rather we did without the datatype.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/