[sc34wg3] Identification Independence?

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Thu Nov 12 18:34:35 EST 2009

Greetings!

I was reading Jeffrey D. Ullman's "Principles of Database Systems"
(1980) today, part of tracking down some references on hypergraphs.

It starts off with the usual preludes about databases and mentions:

1) physical data independence, and

2) logical data independence.

The thought occurred to me that topic maps offer a third type of
independence:

3) entity identification independence.

After all, it is well known that two topic maps can use different
subjectIdentifier property values for the same subject and yet, if a
topic is added with both identifiers in one subjectIdentifier property,
then the topics with different subjectIdentifier property values will
merge.

That is the representative of a subject (entity in database talk) is
independent of how the subject is identified.

Of course, entity identification can be more complex but the underlying
principle is the same.

Don't know if that will be helpful outside of a database context but
seems to me to be a natural extension of the "independence" theme.

Hope everyone is having a great time in Leipzig!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net