[sc34wg3] New TMCL slides

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Tue Nov 10 06:37:14 EST 2009

Lars,

Well, no one wants a "mountain of paper" for TMCL but simply parading
the bugbear of an expanded specification isn't going to help anyone
decide what should be in or out of TMCL.

Any additional feature is going to expand TMCL but the question is by
how much and how attractive is the feature to be included?

If you can illustrate or be more specific about what would expand in
TMCL to meet the request I made, at least then we could argue as to
whether it was worth the effort or not. With that sort of discussion, it
could well be that the proposer of any feature decides it is just too
much to weight for too little gain.

All I know today is that features that support *your* style of
editing/constraining topic maps are included and features requested by
others are automatically "corner" cases. I think members of the
community would be willing to concede features should not be included if
the decision turned on something other than the likes or dislikes of the
editors.

If the discussion can revolve around what features gain, cost, and/or
how the same goal can be achieved differently, then I think the
questions of added features may have an outcome that will surprise you
and hopefully hit closer to Graham's goal.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: For example, if your point is that I could have a "suffersFrom"
association there is the patient role and malady role, hmmm, well, but
in that case the various diseases would simply be role players wouldn't
they? Are you saying make the role more generic and use type on the role
players to make the distinction? Such that I could restrict the playing
of a generic role to a player with a particular type?

I suppose but I don't concede that Dimitry shouldn't have his case
unless there is some showing of actual expansion of TMCL as a result. As
I recall the reason you have offered thus far was that you and Graham
decided to encourage a particular style of modeling. I seem to recall
someone wanting to encourage a certain cleanliness in naming practices.
That didn't work out so well. Yes, a constraint language is always going
to favor some constraints over others but let's keep that to a minimum.