[sc34wg3] CTM: Line-terminators

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Fri Mar 27 06:40:14 EDT 2009

* Lars Heuer

> I think for the single line comment [1] the reference to 0xA is
> correct since 0xA is always the trailing part of a new line
> terminator.

This works because any 0xD will then be considered harmless
whitespace. However, it's not the case that 0xA is always part of the
newline.

Wikipedia has an article on this:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline

Commodore and older Apple machines use just 0xD.

And, famously, IBM machines use NEL (0x15), which at one point was
going to be added to the WS production in XML 2nd ed, but I see that
that didn't happen in the end. I guess that means we can ignore it, too.

The question is if we should change the production to read

   (0xD | 0xA)

instead of just

   0xA.

This would work with all three ASCII-based terminators.

Don't have any strong opinions on this, really.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/