[sc34wg3] Subordinate clauses

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Wed Jan 30 08:16:42 EST 2008

Hi Xuân,

[...]
>     john
>       died_in(new_york) ~random_topic_654166

That's not possible. Templates (I assume you're calling a template
here), do not have a return value. Since templates can contain
arbitrary complex topic map structures it is impossible to decide
which of these constructs should be returned (unless we introduce a
mechanism to let the user decide if she wants to return something).

So, you'll need one more line to model that association. ;)

[...]
>    3. It forces the author to invent an ad-hoc random, but unique, topic
>       identifier, while the topic identifier is of no meaning or purpose

We have wildcards and named wildcards. These may help in 99% of the
use cases, or in 98%, I don't know.

[...]
> Do you think that having subordinate clauses in CTM is a good thing?

I understand the advantages but I don't think we should put it into
1.0.

Best regards,
Lars
--