[sc34wg3] CTM block syntax vs. TMQL embedded expressions

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Tue Jan 29 09:34:16 EST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

[...]
> It is unfortunate that CTM does not allow nesting. Templates are
> used now in places where nesting would be more natural. N3 is a good
> example of how nesting can help to define complex structures in a
> compact form without additional mechanism for templates

Well, the WG decided that it wants templates. At that time the editors
discussed if we want nesting, too. We decided that nesting does not
add so much value and Steve Pepper explained that the LTM-feature to
declare topics within associations [1] is not widely used.

I think we have to draw a line somewhere. If nesting is not an
absolute requirement, we should leave it out for version 1.0. I
understand that nesting is nice, though.

[1] http://www.ontopia.net/download/ltm.html#N250

Best regards,
Lars
--