[sc34wg3] Comments on comments

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Tue Jan 29 04:23:30 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:53:30AM +0900, Jaeho Lee wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> 	#( multiline comment )# or (# multiline comment #)
> 	# single-line comment
>
> The above proposal using "#" is eye-pleasing to me too. However, I wonder
> how well it fits with, for example,
> <http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0935.htm#dir-mergemap> URL with "#" in
> it.

I see no collision yet.

> It may be correctly parsed by a smart parser, but I would like to see
> correct coloring in my editor that has very simple rule for comments, not
> distinguishing "# in URL" and "# for comments".

With AsTMa= I stole myself away from that problem by having # always
followed by a blank to count as comment. And I hope most low-end
computers or editors nowadays understand regular expressions.

> For you information, X-Window (I am still using it actively)
> configuration files use "!" for comments.

Someone commented recently that my remark that this discussion is "so
1980" was inappropriate.... ;-) Well, maybe it wasn't.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_windows#Origin_and_early_development

\rho

And then he said: "You should read my blog." http://kill.devc.at/