[sc34wg3] Multi-line comments in CTM

Gabriel Hopmans g.hopmans at mssm.nl
Tue Jan 22 12:15:30 EST 2008

Hi all,

I also use multi-line comments quite often but if we won't support it I just
need to change my process of authoring topic maps :)

My opinion is that we should support single-line and multi-line comments. I
think we can also say that this is the general conclusion if I read the
reactions.

best,

Gabriel

On Jan 21, 2008 9:30 PM, Lars Heuer <heuer at semagia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [...]
> > Regarding single-line-comments:
>
> >    1. Each single-line-comment can be emulated by exactly one multi-line
> >       comments, but you cannot emulate each multi-line-comments by
>
> I hope this isn't a request to drop single line comments. Having
> multi-line comments only is a mistake.
>
> If I want to comment out a line I don't want to jump to the end of the
> line (or to the following line) to add my "here ends my
> comment"-delimiter. Therefor a single-line comment is more important
> for me (and editors may or may not help you if you want to comment out
> block of code).
>
> >    2. Furthermore, if you view a CTM document as a stream of characters,
> >       the questions are just about which "comment-start-sequence", which
> >       "comment-end-sequence". For single-line-comments, the
> >       "comment-end-sequence" is, by definition, also a
> >       "line-end-sequence".
> [...]
>
> Not sure if I understood this, but the EOL is not part of the
> comment. Currently a single line comment is defined as "starts with #
> and ends just before the EOL", if that matters.
> (Replace "#" with "!!" if the Kyoto comment syntax is approved :/ ).
>
> Best regards,
> Lars
> --
> http://www.semagia.com