[sc34wg3] Multi-line comments in CTM

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Mon Jan 21 15:30:30 EST 2008

Hi,

[...]
> Regarding single-line-comments:

>    1. Each single-line-comment can be emulated by exactly one multi-line
>       comments, but you cannot emulate each multi-line-comments by

I hope this isn't a request to drop single line comments. Having
multi-line comments only is a mistake.

If I want to comment out a line I don't want to jump to the end of the
line (or to the following line) to add my "here ends my
comment"-delimiter. Therefor a single-line comment is more important
for me (and editors may or may not help you if you want to comment out
block of code).

>    2. Furthermore, if you view a CTM document as a stream of characters,
>       the questions are just about which "comment-start-sequence", which
>       "comment-end-sequence". For single-line-comments, the
>       "comment-end-sequence" is, by definition, also a
>       "line-end-sequence".
[...]

Not sure if I understood this, but the EOL is not part of the
comment. Currently a single line comment is defined as "starts with #
and ends just before the EOL", if that matters.
(Replace "#" with "!!" if the Kyoto comment syntax is approved :/ ).

Best regards,
Lars
--
http://www.semagia.com