[sc34wg3] Multiline strings in CTM

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Thu Nov 1 12:43:25 EDT 2007

[...]
>    """<xml here="value"/>
>    """

Actually, the example is wrong. It would be treated as xs:string.

          """<xml here="value"/>"""^^xs:anyType

would be correct.

A bit background info: We considered to allow XML directly within CTM
documents as value of an occurrence or variant, but this led into too
many problems and would have complicated the CTM grammar
unnecessarily. Since we ranked the support for XML within CTM high, we
came to the conclusion, that triple quotes are the perfect solution
because a user can copy and paste XML directly between the triple
quotes without escaping the attribute="value" pairs. We considered '
for such purposes but we opted for """.

Best regards,
Lars
--