[sc34wg3] Possible TMRM issue

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ontopia.net
Mon Mar 20 07:51:47 EST 2006

* Patrick Durusau

> Puzzled by your comment "...may have to traverse the entire model
> every time you want to compare two proxies."
>
> The TMRM specifies the required starting condition of being a set
> of proxies, i.e., no duplicates, but it does not constrain how an
> implementation would meet that condition.

No, and that's fine.

> How duplicates would be detected would depend upon the method
> chosen for implementation. Even though set comprehension is
> specified, sets are not necesssarily implemented as sets. Such
> implementations must, however, meet the test specified by the set
> comprehension requirement. Really depends on what a particular
> legend requires or permits in terms of structure as to what method
> one would use.
>
> Does that help?

No. :-)

The problem is that it's far from obvious how this can be done
without having to traverse the entire model every time a change is
made, or, alternatively, every time you want to compare two proxies.
What we need is some kind of reassurance that it is *possible* to
implement this efficiently. If it's not possible to do this
efficiently I don't think the current model is acceptable at all, and
if only Robert knows how to do it I'm afraid we'll only ever see one
implementation of this (Robert's).

--
Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian               http://www.ontopia.net
+47 98 21 55 50                             http://www.garshol.priv.no