[sc34wg3] Possible TMRM issue

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Mar 18 17:01:06 EST 2006

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> There is one potential TMRM issue that's worried me for a while, and
> I would appreciate if we could put it to rest one way or another.
>
> TMRM instances are sets of proxies, which implies that you can't have
> duplicate proxies. Proxies, in turn, are sets of (proxy, proxy)
> pairs, which gives you a simple, but recursive structure. How is it
> possible to efficiently detect duplicates in this model? In theory
> you may have to traverse the entire model every time you want to
> compare two proxies.

Puzzled by your comment "...may have to traverse the entire model every
time you want to compare two proxies."

The TMRM specifies the required starting condition of being a set of
proxies, i.e., no duplicates, but it does not constrain how an
implementation would meet that condition.

How duplicates would be detected would depend upon the method chosen for
implementation. Even though set comprehension is specified, sets are not
necesssarily implemented as sets. Such implementations must, however,
meet the test specified by the set comprehension requirement. Really
depends on what a particular legend requires or permits in terms of
structure as to what method one would use.

Does that help?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick