[sc34wg3] New JTC1 Directives

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue Mar 7 20:23:21 EST 2006

Patrick

Time to make OASIS and W3C AROs methinks.

But actually we have an escape clause. In N4.4.1 it states:
a justification for the referencing which shall also address the following
aspects:

- relationship of the proposed RS to existing or emerging international
standards (and

regional or other standards as appropriate) and when the RS is competing
with or

complementing an existing or emerging international standard, the rationale
for the

referencing;

- the degree of market acceptance of the proposed RS; and

- the rationale as to why the transposition of the proposed RS into an IS is
inappropriate or

impractical,

Being totally biased (as ever) all XML-based standards are simply
applications of IS0 8879 :-)

Therefore any standard that is based on XML "complements an existing
international standard".

Transposition is inappropriate because SC34 is concerned with base
standards, not applications thereof! [Well, its worth a try ;-)) ]

Martin