[sc34wg3] Fwd: Feedback on CTM requirements

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:09:33 -0500

Lars,

A couple of nits:

The first sentence of the introduction reads:

"Compact Syntax Topic Map [CTM]
<http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0699.pdf> is a standard text-based
notation to represent topic maps conforming to ISO/IEC 13250:2000
[13250] <http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/>."

But, under 2.1 Relationship to other standards it says:

"5. CTM shall be based on the Topic Map Data Model."

Those are not quite the same.

Further, it says under 2.4 Semantics

"3. The definition of the underlying data MUST be based (directly or
indirectly) on the Topic Maps Data Model [TMDM].."

(BTW, note the doubled periods at the end of that sentence.)

TMQL has not seen fit (as far as I can tell) to limit itself to the TMDM
so I am uncertain why CTM is choosing to do so.

Seems to me a more generalized syntax would be more useful in the long run.

CTM  certainly must be able to represent what one finds in the TMDM but
that is a starting and not an ending point. After all, it has often been
said that merging beyond that required by the TMDM is certainly possible
and that to me implies that properties beyond those defined by the TMDM
can legitimately exist in an otherwise TMDM based application. The TMDM
certainly does not prohibit such properties.

I will try read the requirements more closely later this week but those
are two issues that jumped out at me.

Thanks for the hard work!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick