[sc34wg3] Topic names and occurrences in the TMDM

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:11:16 +0100

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | Is the TMDM stating that Topic names are a form of occurrence,
>
> Yes.
>
> | or should it state as Kal did that Topic names are a special
> | construct in the Topic Map model?
>
> It does both. Names have a separate representation, and that sentence
> makes it clear that semantically names are a kind of occurrence, just
> as occurrences are a kind of association. This is just at the
> conceptual level, though. At the model level they are clearly separate
> (they have different item types etc).
>
> | I think the sentence quoted may be confusing -- even if "a
> | specialized kind" is only meant informally, it indicates that names
> | are a subtype of occurrence in the model, which is not the case
> | AFAIK.
>
> I think you are right that there is some potential for confusion
> there.  The question is: can we think of any better wording? I'd be
> happy to hear proposals.

Lars Marius,

I think your definition above is fairly clear, i.e., that informally,
or at the conceptual (but not conceptual model) level, names *can be
thought of* as a type of Topic Occurrence, but in the actual model
level they are distinct object types.

That would do for me.

Thanks,

Murray

Murray Altheim                          http://www.altheim.com/murray/
Strategic Services Development Manager
The Open University Library and Learning Resources Centre
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

        believe that everything is for
        you until you discover
        that you are for it
                               "The Robin and the Worm" by Don Marquis.
                               http://www.altheim.com/lit/robnworm.html