[sc34wg3] Topic names and occurrences in the TMDM

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:41:28 +0200

* Murray Altheim

| Is the TMDM stating that Topic names are a form of occurrence,

Yes.

| or should it state as Kal did that Topic names are a special
| construct in the Topic Map model?

It does both. Names have a separate representation, and that sentence
makes it clear that semantically names are a kind of occurrence, just
as occurrences are a kind of association. This is just at the
conceptual level, though. At the model level they are clearly separate
(they have different item types etc).

| I think the sentence quoted may be confusing -- even if "a
| specialized kind" is only meant informally, it indicates that names
| are a subtype of occurrence in the model, which is not the case
| AFAIK.

I think you are right that there is some potential for confusion
there.  The question is: can we think of any better wording? I'd be
happy to hear proposals.