[sc34wg3] Fwd: [httpRange-14] Resolved

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:32:59 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| interesting news from httpRange-14 below.
|
| Would be interesting to apply that to subject address vs. subject
| identifier issues.

It just struck me that this fits quite nicely into the subject
identifier vs subject locator distinction in topic maps:

  - If you know that X is the subject identifier of Y that means X
    identifies Y, but does not locate it. (That is, resolving X will
    not produce Y itself.)

  - If you know that X is the subject locator of Y that means X
    identifies and locates Y.

So as far as I can tell, even the terminology fits quite well.

* Roy T. Fielding

| <TAG type="RESOLVED">
|
| That we provide advice to the community that they may mint
| "http" URIs for any resource provided that they follow this
| simple rule for the sake of removing ambiguity:
|
|   a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
|      2xx response, then the resource identified by that URI
|      is an information resource;
|
|   b) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
|      303 (See Other) response, then the resource identified
|      by that URI could be any resource;
|
|   c) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
|      4xx (error) response, then the nature of the resource
|      is unknown.
|
| </TAG>

This means that in RDF data you can use HTTP to resolve this ambiguity
for HTTP URIs. Of course, for any large data set that's going to take
weeks, at least, but you can do it. (Well, to be blunt, this isn't
really a solution to anything, but then that was not to be expected,
either.)