[sc34wg3] Fwd: [httpRange-14] Resolved

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:32:18 +0200

Hi,

interesting news from httpRange-14 below.

Would be interesting to apply that to subject address vs. subject
identifier issues.

Jan

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
> Date: June 19, 2005 6:25:42 AM GMT+02:00
> To: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
> Subject: [httpRange-14] Resolved
>

> As everyone here knows, the TAG has spent a great deal of time
> discussing the httpRange-14 issue, as described at
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#httpRange-14
>
> I am happy to report that we came up with a reasonable
> compromise solution at the recent TAG f2f meeting at MIT.
>
> <TAG type="RESOLVED">
>
> That we provide advice to the community that they may mint
> "http" URIs for any resource provided that they follow this
> simple rule for the sake of removing ambiguity:
>
>   a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
>      2xx response, then the resource identified by that URI
>      is an information resource;
>
>   b) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
>      303 (See Other) response, then the resource identified
>      by that URI could be any resource;
>
>   c) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
>      4xx (error) response, then the nature of the resource
>      is unknown.
>
> </TAG>
>
> I believe that this solution enables people to name arbitrary
> resources using the "http" namespace without any dependence on
> fragment vs non-fragment URIs, while at the same time providing
> a mechanism whereby information can be supplied via the 303
> redirect without leading to ambiguous interpretation of such
> information as being a representation of the resource (rather,
> the redirection points to a different resource in the same way
> as an external link from one resource to the other).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
> Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>

Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
http://jalgermissen.com
Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
http://www.tugboat.de