xml:id RE: [sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:56:44 +0200

Lars Marius

Apologies to have seemed so "negative" and "aggressive". Just some precisions.

> I think it's quite clear that XML is going to have to struggle
> quite hard to compete with

> [bernard : person = "Bernard Vatant"; "vatant, bernard"]

This is where I disagree, and where I think Patrick got my point. The above has never
seemed *simple* nor intuitive to me; neither to read, nor to write (too many [ : ; [ % @
make me uneasy). To tell the truth I never even tried to learn to read LTM or AsTMa= so
actually I only guess the semantics of the above. But maybe it's only because I'm lazy :))
Anyway simplicity is what is simple for the user, and is not necessarily in linear
relation with string length ...
I've edited a lot of XTM, and never found it "painful". Verbose and heavy, yes, but not
"painful".

Now the argument that it is needed for TMQL is another story. I don't understand it
completely because I'm not sure what INSERT in TMQL is, but it's certainly relevant.

>| 	CTM should be easy to validate
>
> That's an interesting requirement, but I'm not sure exactly what you
> mean by it. Validate on what level? Syntactically? Or against a schema?

I'm amazed by those questions. If you specify a language, I guess you provide ways to
check if the files you produce are conformant to the specification. Call it well-formed,
valid, whatever, in any case : when I get a file "foo.ctm", how do I make sure it's
conformant to the CTM specification? What kind of tool do I use? When I have an XML file,
I know that I have two possible levels of validation (at least), and the ways to check it
in my XML editor. What should be the levels of validation for CTM, I don't know. I just
wonder how they will be specified, and which tools i will use. Certainly a simple text
editor will not do it, right?

> And easy for whom? The implementor or the user?

Anyone who is bound to ask the question : is that file valid CTM? For example ...

[bernard : person = "Bernard Vatant"; vatant, bernard"]

... is not well-formed LTM, I guess. You need a specific parser to find out why, right?
Are such parsers available?
You say a lot of people use LTM. How do they cope with that? Are there LTM
editors/parsers/validators around?
Sorry if those seem silly questions, but lack of answers prevented me to use LTM so far.

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Mondeca Knowledge Engineering
bernard.vatant@mondeca.com