xml:id RE: [sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:53:50 -0400

Lars,

Consider the age of HTML and the lack of any demand for a "compact"
syntax to replace it.

Or that XQuery appears to be proceeding with an XML syntax.

I think part of the problem is not everyone shares the background that
makes you say "XML is too painful."

Realizing that we all have other committments, perhaps making the case
for a "compact" syntax along the lines of LTM or AsTMa=, rather than
assuming everyone shares the same view of an XML syntax might ease us
past this point.

Personally I think very abbreviated syntaxes are probably the favorites
of heavy users while XML (but still compact) syntaxes would probably be
favored by less heavy users.

Both are legitimate user communities.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick