[sc34wg3] [g.hopmans@mssm.nl: initial work on new ISO part: new Compact Syntax for Topic Maps]

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:28:33 +1000

I have not seen this appear on the list.

It is from Morpheus (probably about a green or a red pill).

FYI.

\rho

------------

Van: G.hopmans [g.hopmans@mssm.nl]
Verzonden: dinsdag 12 juli 2005 18:03
Aan: topicmapmail@infoloom.com
CC: g.hopmans@mssm.nl; samoh@skku.ac.kr; samoh@skku.edu;
gabriel.hopmans@gmail.com
Onderwerp: initial work on new ISO part: new Compact Syntax for Topic Maps

Hello All,

At the last ISO meeting in Amsterdam it has been decided that initial work on the so called Compact Syntax for Topic Maps should be started. For this work Professor Sam Oh and I volunteered to do some initial work and we are now asking you feedback on this. The notes of the last ISO meeting in Amsterdam about the Compact syntax can be found at: http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0625.htm, see section 8

Most of you are familiar with LTM and AsTMa= as text based notation to do quickly manual authoring of Topic Maps. (AsTMa=, version 1.3 is available at: http://astma.it.bond.edu.au/astma-family.dbk?section=3
and LTM Version 1.3 at: http://www.ontopia.net/download/ltm.html)

For the evaluation of the existing proposals (LTM and AsTMa=) we are collecting more feedback from users of the existing proposals. To give feedback some characteristics one can think of are:
- conciseness of the language
- syntax to organise TM content
- technical issues or background one needs to have
- compactness
- the reduction of typing efforts
- being part of a coherent language family (like AsTMa! and AsTMa? which correspond to TMCL and TMQL, respectively). For a new ISO standardisation part it would be ideal if a new compact syntax would be defined that combines both of the advantages of these existing languages. To recognise the advantages we want to ask you: Can you provide us some evaluation feedback on this?

The first thought for the name of this part is going to be : "Compact Syntax for Topic Maps" with the extension to be used: .CTM. In this e-mail we also would like to ask you for input on the requirements and your thoughts on this new part. We will collect all the input so that it can be discussed at the next ISO meeting in Montreal. In the attachment you find the first requirements we have collected so far proposed by the TMQL standard editors. We hope we will receive more input from the TM community.

thanks in advance and best regards,

Gabriel

----- End forwarded message -----