[sc34wg3] Re: 7. Core subject identifiers

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:56:00 +0200

* Patrick Durusau

| The second paragraph of 7.1 reads:
|
| "All core subject identifiers defined by this document are distinct,
| that is, topics representing these subjects cannot be merged with
| one another."
|
| I assume that was in response to the US comment asking what " All
| core subject identifiers defined by this document are distinct." in
| the prior draft meant. ;-)

Correct. :-)

| In other words, if I had two topic items representing the subject of
| type-instance (that is both have in their [subject identifiers]
| property the string
| |"http://psi.topicmaps.com/iso13250/type-instance"|), then they should
| merge. Yes?

Yes. The sentence was not meant to exclude this, but I admit it is
vague.

How about:

  All core subject identifiers defined by this document represent
  distinct subjects. Therefore it is an error to assign more than one
  of these subject identifiers to the same topic item.

That seems pretty clear to me.

| As it stands it strikes me as incorrect, but I don't know if you
| would lose anything by deleting it since I am still uncertain about
| what was intended.

Well, just because subject identifiers are different it doesn't mean
that the subjects can't be the same. This sentence was intended to
make it crystal clear that these subjects *are* different. So far it
does not seem to have succeeded. :)