[sc34wg3] 7. Core subject identifiers

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:21:23 -0400

Lars,

The second paragraph of 7.1 reads:

" All core subject identifiers defined by this document are distinct,
that is, topics representing these subjects cannot be merged with one
another."

I assume that was in response to the US comment asking what " All core
subject identifiers defined by this document are distinct." in the prior
draft meant. ;-)

But is not correct is it?

In other words, if I had two topic items representing the subject of
type-instance (that is both have in their [subject identifiers] property
the string |"http://psi.topicmaps.com/iso13250/type-instance"|), then
they should merge. Yes?

I am thinking of the case where two topic maps are merged together and
each is likely to have had topic items for the core subject identifiers.

As it stands it strikes me as incorrect, but I don't know if you would
lose anything by deleting it since I am still uncertain about what was
intended.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--