[sc34wg3] Editors' drafts of TMDM and XTM 1.1

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:14:04 +1000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:51:11PM +0000, Murray Altheim wrote:
> I would hope that the ISO editors reconsider calling their
> markup language something other than "XTM", as by all counts
> (including your own remarks above) it no longer continues in
> any tradition (grammatically or semantically) with what XTM
> 1.0. It has redefined existing grammatical tokens, made funda-
> mental alterations to their meaning and behaviour, and added
> or subtracted enough of the language that any resemblance to
> XTM 1.0 is only peripheral, and perhaps misleading.

Hmmm, I cannot see that. In

   http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/sam-xtm/#xtm1.0-differences

there are several replacements (without semantic impact) and the only
semantically relevant changes seem to be:

  - mergeMap no scoping (who really used it? Except you :-)
  - datatypes added (we all want that, no?)

Everything TAOish is all still there. So if a duck quacks like a duck,
I would still call it a duck. And not a dog. ;-]

IOW, XTM 1.1 would be fine for me.

\rho