[sc34wg3] TMDM - Proposal for the removal of variant items

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:54:00 +0100

Hi Lars,

* Lars Heuer

> I know, we are very, very (maybe too) late with the proposal, [...]

I'm afraid you really are too late with this proposal. If we were to
do this, it would be the biggest change from XTM 1.0 to TMDM/XTM 1.1
yet. That's not an argument against doing it, but it's certainly an
argument for why the editors can't suddenly decide to do this between
the last ISO meeting before FDIS and the FDIS draft.

The FDIS draft is going out in 3-4 days

> but the decision to change the XTM was made very late.

Which is why it was opposed by the editors. The committee does have
the power to do this kind of thing, but the editors do not. And even
if they did, they wouldn't use it.

> The chance to remove variants from the TMDM is only possible if XTM
> 1.1 does not support them, and this wasn't possible without a
> backward compatibility break.

That's certainly true, which is another argument for why if we were
going to make backwards incompatible changes to XTM now was not the
time. But that's water under the bridge by now, I'm afraid.

> Even if this proposal cannot be considered because of ISO regulations
> (TMDM becomes FDIS) I'd like to bring it to your attention.

I'd certainly be interested to hear what people think of this.
Personally, I am mostly neutral on this one.

--
Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian               http://www.ontopia.net
+47 98 21 55 50                             http://www.garshol.priv.no