[sc34wg3] Editors' drafts of TMDM and XTM 1.1

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:51:11 +0000

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> The editors have now produced new drafts of TMDM and XTM 1.1 at
>    http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/
[...]
> The changes to XTM are *very* extensive, as nearly every part of the
> document has changed, so it's very important to give it a proper
> review. This includes the the three schemas, all of which have seen
> extensive changes.
[...]

Lars Marius,

As I've already made comments to this effect, this message
is just a summary.

I would hope that the ISO editors reconsider calling their
markup language something other than "XTM", as by all counts
(including your own remarks above) it no longer continues in
any tradition (grammatically or semantically) with what XTM
1.0. It has redefined existing grammatical tokens, made funda-
mental alterations to their meaning and behaviour, and added
or subtracted enough of the language that any resemblance to
XTM 1.0 is only peripheral, and perhaps misleading. You have
invented a new XML markup language for interchanging Topic
Maps of a different model, and this requires a new name.
Existing XTM applications can't "upgrade" to this new markup
language by simply making minor alterations to existing
software since the application behaviour in many cases has
also changed.

Murray

Murray Altheim                          http://www.altheim.com/murray/
Strategic Services Development Manager
The Open University Library and Learning Resources Centre
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

    As late as 1855, New York newspapers reported that Presbyterian,
    Baptist and Methodist churches were closed on Dec. 25 because
    "they do not accept the day as a Holy One." On the eve of the
    Civil War, Christmas was recognized in just 18 states.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/opinion/04sun3.html