[sc34wg3] Individual contribution on the U.S. N.B. positiononthe progress ion of Topic Map standards

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:28:05 +0200

Kal Ahmed wrote:

> I detect a leading question, but I shall rise to the bait anyway - at
> least partially :-)
>
> I can load a topic map created by Ontopia into TM4J (and vice-versa) -
> I can exchange information between multiple applications that implement
> topic map processing as described by ISO 13250. I can describe existing
> classification systems; thesaurii; CMS meta data and even relational
> tables in terms of topic map constructs (as defined by ISO 13250).
>
> That means I can exchange information between applications successfully.

Hmm...so what? Of course you can since you use a common syntax. To me, this
is data interchange, not information interchange. I think 'successfull
information interchange" is achieved if I can hand you (and your application)
my data *and* the semantics that govern the data (my "ontological commitments"
if you like) and you would be able to understand them with the result that
you would construct the exact same graph from the data that I do.

> There is much more that can be done based on existing ISO 13250 - it
> needs time to be embedded in the information ecosystem and time for
> research to be done and to push the boundaries of what the standard
> provides. Why does *ISO 13250*  need to do more ?

ISO 13250 does not enable what I described because it does not provide
a mechanism to agree on semantics (what has been partly described
by 'no ability to document merging rules').

Jan