[sc34wg3] Documenting merging rules in TMDM

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:42:54 -0500

Kal,

Just a quick reply with more to follow.

There is a difference between:

1. Merging rules written in a known syntax (your case)

and,

2. Merging rules that are embedded in an application.

The first allows a customer to make a reasoned judgment of cost and risk
in migrating from one topic maps software application to another.

The second does not.

Does that help?

(Curious why I need TMCL to express: "X is true of topic A and Y is true
of topic B then topic A and topic B must be merged." The TMDM already
has 'X is true of topic A and X is true of topic B then topic A and
topic B must be merged.' Is there some reason why I need a separate
mechanism for X and Y? Other than a particular implementation strategy?)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick