[sc34wg3] Schedule of SC34 WG3 meetings at XML Europe?

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:20:37 +0100

* IMPORTANT *

I would like to solicit input on the timetable for the
WG3 meeting in Amsterdam. Please read this and respond
as soon as possible.

As you know, XML Europe takes place from Sunday 18th
to Wednesday 21st April, with tutorials on the first of
these days.

Recently we have started on the Friday before the
conference and had 3 or 4 days of meetings, interrupted
by the SC34 plenary and disrupted (for some) by tutorials.
If we do that this time we will get, at best, one and
a half days of undisturbed meeting.

Given the current state of WG3's work, I think that is
too little. We are now at a stage where it looks as though
very little remains to be done on Parts 2, 3 and 4 of
13250. (Of course, we won't know for sure until all NB
comments have been received on the CDs that are currently
out for ballot, but based on the discussions in the
mailing list there seem to be very few contentious
technical issues left.)

Part 1 has yet to be drafted, but it has been agreed that
this should be short and simple, so I do not foresee a
need for many iterations.

As a result, I think we are in a position to aim for
finalization (and publication) of the first four parts
of 13250 by the end of 2004, or early 2005 (depending
on ballot times).

I think this would give Topic Maps a big boost, so we
should really try and make it happen.

In addition, I think we need to devote substantial time
on reaching consensus on how to proceed with the
Reference Model.

That being the case, I would like to suggest that we take
the time to sit together in the Netherlands for long enough
to sew up all the final details in Parts 2, 3 and 4, once
and for all, and make progress on the RM.

I propose, therefore, that we meet from Tuesday 13th to
Friday 16th April. (I assume Easter Monday, the 12th, is
not an option.) That will give us four whole days. (Those
of you that think this is a lot were obviously not
around in the days when WG8 met as a matter of course for
a whole week at a time :)

I know Ken has had some problems organizing a room for
SC34, but as convenor of WG3 I will commit to finding a
solution for the 13th-16th.

Please indicate, *as soon as possible* if you will be
able to attend for the whole of this period.

Please indicate also if you would object very much to
spending these days somewhere other than Amsterdam (but
still in the Netherlands), if that would lead to lower
accomodation and meeting room charges.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Ontopian