[sc34wg3] Identifying and comparing subjects (and a possible extension to \tau )

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:54:12 -0400

Ann,

Apologies for the delayed response!

I am not sure that we need an additional model for merging.

 From my reading of the Tau model, which is probably imperfect and/or
incomplete, I don't think it compells the same merging model that is in
use in the TMDM/TAU model.

My impression is that the Tau model allows a definition of the identity
of subject proxies that supports the SIP model used by the TMRM.

Recall that the SIP of a subject proxy in the TMRM is a complex of
components that identify the subject. That is to say that one can
achieve whatever level of granularity of subject identity that is
required for a particular environment.

If one has two separate topic map instances that follow that model,
merging can be based on any combination of the components in the
respective SIPs.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick