Avoiding mistakes: was Re: [sc34wg3] DM conformance

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:58:23 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau

<snip>

> | You could say it is obvious since it is all part of 13250 overall,
> | but then one could make the same claim about the XML InfoSet. It is
> | the only one at the W3C so what else would one be using for an XML
> | standard.
>
> Quite a lot, apparently, for which the W3C has been criticized, and in
> my view correctly. They should have done the infoset first, and
> everything else afterwards and based on it. For political reasons that
> did not happen. We, however, are now in a position to avoid that
> mistake.

Sorry, but we are far from avoiding that mistake. As you are well aware
there was one official ISO interchange syntax for topic maps and several
unofficial ones (including XTM that is now part of 13250), not to
mention other aspects of topic maps. Agree it perhaps should have been
done differently, but it wasn't and I resist the notion that we can now
say otherwise.

Creating a restatement of one interchange syntax in terms of one
possible data model for topic maps is a sleight of hand that I find
particularly unpersuasive on this issue.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau