[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

12 Nov 2003 20:34:57 +0100

* Patrick Durusau

| Hmmm, depends on what you mean by XML data doesn't it? I assume that
| I would want to interpret the markup that I find, but if all I have
| is the markup, I am guessing about its significance.

That is true. So long as the topic map is only used within a single
organization or project this is no problem, but once we allow topic
map fragments to be interchanged in the open we can be pretty certain
that sooner or later someone will receive an internal occurrence
containing XML markup the recipient does not understand and does not
know how to display/process.

The question is whether we should try to handle this in any way, or
whether we should just say "beware of sending such stuff around", and
"don't expect that you'll always understand the markup in an
occurrence". At the moment I'm leaning towards not making any attempt
to handle this.

I think what we will probably do in the Omnigator is to pass through
markup in the XHTML namespace when rendering, but to strip out all
markup in other namespaces. Or, we could just display the markup in
escaped form. Or we could strip all markup. Or we could pass through
all markup and leave it to the browser to figure out whether it can
make sense of it.

| Without it being in XTM, I would say it is an XML issue. Not sure
| that changes if it is inside XTM.

I would tend to agree.